Doctors Note Logo


Published on: 6/11/2024

What specialists treat obstructive sleep apnea?

If you are concerned you have obstructive sleep apnea, you should conduct your primary care provider first for evaluation. If it is sleep apnea, a sleep medicine specialist will evaluate with a sleep study.

answer background


Sleep apnea symptoms are first evaluated by a primary care physician who will also consider other potential causes that can mimic sleep apnea. They will also do a physical exam. If sleep apnea is suspected, your primary care provider will refer you to a sleep medicine specialist to perform a sleep study.

Some sleep studies can be done at home while others require staying overnight in a facilty. During a sleep study, your oxygen levels, and body movements are monitored non-invasively with stickers on your body. If sleep apnea is obvious during the sleep study, the testing center may also try a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) mask on to see if it resolves your sleep apnea.


  • Slowik JM, Sankari A, Collen JF. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. 2024 Mar 21. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2024 Jan 2013. PMID: 29083619.

Share this page

smily Shiba-inu peeking down

For First Time Users

What is Ubie’s Doctor’s Note?

We provide a database of explanations from real doctors on a range of medical topics. Get started by exploring our library of questions and topics you want to learn more about.

Learn more about diseases

Sleep Apnea Syndrome

Purpose and positioning of servicesUbie Doctor’s Note is a service for informational purposes, and the provision of information by physicians, medical professionals, etc. is not a medical practice. The provision of information by physicians, medical professionals, etc. is not a medical treatment. If medical treatment is required, please consult your doctor or medical institution. We strive to provide reliable and accurate information, but we do not guarantee the completeness of the content. If you find any errors in the information, please contact us.